Admin

History of Alexander II

Elam AlexanderIn 1901, at the request of the Alexander Free School Board, ground was broken on College Street across from Tattnall Square Park. Alexander II school was completed in 1902.

In 1920, six classrooms were added to the school.

In 1940, the Elam Alexander Fund added an auditorium to Alexander II.

In 1976, a magnet school was defined by Congress as a school having a special curriculum that would attract students of different racial backgrounds. Three years later Alexander II was established as the first magnet school in the state of Georgia. A school of choice, we responded to the community's desire for a school with a math and science focus.

In 1984, 1993, 2001, and 2011, Alexander II was named a Georgia School of Excellence. Through the years the school has maintained close ties with Mercer University, which is adjacent to it, and the community in which it is located. Its academic program has consistently been among the top programs in Bibb County, as measured by student performance on norm-referenced tests.

Alexander IIIn 1981 funding was given to the Bibb County Board of Education for restoration work at Alexander II Magnet School.

In 1984 the Elam Alexander Fund provided $8,000 for air conditioning.

In June 2000, Alexander II was named to the list of 11 Most Endangered Historic places by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

Renovation SketchThe Alexander II 1902 restoration project was completed during the 2002-2003 school year while Alexander II resided at a temporary location, 1270 Birch Street. Modern classroom wings, which complement the original building, have been added. Students returned to the new school in September of 2003.

In 2006 and in 2015, Alexander II Magnet school was recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the US Department of Education. The tradition of academic achievement established long ago continues to this day with a staff and student body committed to excellence.

For further information:

Corner, Harriet F. History of Macon: The First One Hundred Years 1823-1923. Macon, GA: Williams & Canady.

(Washington Library, Macon, GA. R 975.8 Bi Mac)

Young, Ida; Gholson, Julius; Hargrove, Clara Nell. History of Macon, Georgia 1823-1949 . Macon, GA.: Page, Dulmage, Young, Gholson, Hargrove & Jones. Reprinted by Lyon, Marshall & Brooks, 1950

(Washington Library, Macon, GA. R 975.8 Bi You)

Butler, John C. The Alexander Free School: The Life of Elam Alexander . Macon, GA: J. W. Burke & Co, Printers

(Alexander II School Library)

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.